19 April 2011

Prawn curry with tomato & coconut

This curry represents my first dabble into using Tikka spice mix.

Now, before you all raise your hands in despair and start telling me how much better it is to mix your own spices (which I agree, it can be), let me explain.  Tikka is a very different kettle of spices to your standard curry.  The mix is different, it contains different spices.  Now, before I start trying to formulate my own mix, I like to play around a little with a commercially prepared spice mix, just so that I can get the flavours, aromas and textures set in my head.  It's a bit like covering other people's songs before you record one of your own.  Or maybe not - but that's what it feels like, anyway.


I began this curry with an idea, a goal, in mind.  I wanted it to be creamy without being heavy, kind of middling-hot (enough to satisfy hubby's chilli tastebuds, but not so much as to make us gasp) and not just prawns.  I wanted there to be something else in the curry sauce, but not necessarily a vegetable like potato, or okra.


Now bear in mind that this was a Monday curry - which means that the fridge and larder are at their leanest for little bits of this and that, leftovers which could be press-ganged into use.  However, I had a tin of coconut milk specifically for the curry and part-way along the recipe I suddenly remembered the two vine ripened tomatoes that made all the difference.


The end result was a delightfully light curry which made a real change from the heavy, rich, dark curries that we're used to.  We ate it with some peppered poppodums which went with it perfectly.

PRAWN CURRY WITH TOMATO & COCONUT  (serves 3)

Ingredients :

a knob of butter
2 onions, chopped fine
2 cloves of garlic, grated
3 tsp of tikka curry powder
half a tsp of cumin
2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped fine
200ml fish stock or water (if you're concerned about the salt content)
400ml can of coconut milk
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp plain yoghurt (I used Greek)
a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
sea salt & ground black pepper
300g frozen prawns (defrosted)
Method :

1.  Melt the butter in a deep frying pan and add the onion.  Cook gently until softened and golden.

2.  Grate in the garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes then add the Tikka powder and cumin.  Stir to combine and allow to cook down for 1-2 minutes.

3.  Add the tomatoes and stir to combine.  Increase the temperature a little, so that the tomatoes start to soften.

4.  Add the stock or water, mix it in, then add the coconut milk, tomato puree, yoghurt, coriander and sugar.  Season, stir well and bring to a boil.

5.  Allow to reduce until you are happy with the consistency, then add the prawns and allow to heat through.

Serve with white rice and puppodums.


.

3 comments:

  1. This is great.....Lovely.....!
    One thing about curry, is you can mix and match, mix and go.....And, so on.
    I've said before, a home made curry is the best curry you'll ever have.
    And, every curry will be different, even if someone prefers a milder one, you can add a little yogurt or even sugar, to take the strength away, once you've taken yours out.
    I really love curry and eat it at least three times a week. And, yes, even in this weather.
    Best time for curry is summer time......! :0).
    And, Tikka, l find is so much better with fish/prawns. Monk fish is good to.....Lovely....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am most certainly NOT going to rant at you about the absolute necessity of creating your own curry spice mixture. Nowadays there are so many really good preparations available that you can always find something to suit your pocket and your store-cupboard.

    I made chaphatis the other day - I meant to shout about this on FaceBook - and I was just thrilled to bits with myself because I did it the 'proper' way, finishing the flat breads off by resting them directly on the gas flame and watching them puff up. I learnt how to do this from my old friend Mrs. Aisha Elaine Khan .. must have learned more from her than I did my own mother, when it comes to cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I know you're a great curry eater Willie - and a great curry maker, too! I think this kind of curry is just perfect for summer time, as it's not too heavy on the tummy.

    Well *phew*, then Laura! LOL I like the sound of your chapatis - however, thinking on, I don't think our halogen hob would have quite the same effect? I love how people live on in a person's memory through food, like your Mrs Khan. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...