14 September 2013

Pumpkin Pie!

Yup, I think I've cracked it this time!

My first attempt at pumpkin pie was a bit ho hum, because I used canned pumpkin.  However, the second go - with fresh pumpkin - went so well that I resolved to make it again very soon.  So, seven years later, I finally managed it.  ~rolls eyes~  Goodness only knows what I was doing in the meantime.

Now you know what I'm like when I'm making something for the first or even second, time.  I don't stick to just one recipe, I read a dozen or so and decide to make something that uses bits from each.  It doesn't always work, but looking at today's attempt (above), yup, I think I've got this recipe sussed.

Just look at the glorious colour - it's like the sun came out!
The bake was easy peasy - it made the flat smell utterly gorgeous - and the filling set up beautifully into a mousse-like texture that was light and fluffy.  One thing I will say, is that your pumpkin will vary as to how moist it is.  As such, I recommend that you keep the milk back until you've added the pumpkin to the filling mixture and use the milk to let it down to a suitable consistency.  This might take more, or very often considerably less, than the milk you've set aside for it.  Far better to do it that way than land up with a filling that's just pumpkiny milky water!

My second and rather more successful attempt
Oh my goodness though - the flavour.  Oh wow!  Now I know why the Americans go so potty over pumpkin pie.  It's only a shame that it has taken so long to find out.  The nutmeg, the cinnamon, the soft, yielding unctuousness that just coats your tongue and says "everything is okay now" in motherly tones.  I know it is a Greg Wallace-ism, but it really does give you a great big, warm, fluffy, cinnamon scented hug.  Which is odd, considering I served it cold.

Today's pie - a better depth of filling
For today's pumpkin pie, I made the shortcrust pastry base - I'd cut a finger last time, so employed a shop bought pastry case which really wasn't deep enough.  So today I was able to choose a pie dish that enabled a much better depth of filling.  To a man - and one woman - we all took our first bite and chewed for approximately three seconds before rolling our eyes heavenwards and saying "mmmnnnhhhh" in that "oh, this is gooooood!" kind of way.  In fact, it isn't good - it transcends good.  It is amazing.

Go get yourself a pumpkin and make yourself a pie.  You have to.  You just simply have to.

PUMPKIN PIE    (serves 6)

Ingredients :

750g pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
140g granulated sugar
half a tsp salt
half a tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, beaten well
25g salted butter, melted
40ml semi-skimmed milk
225g equivalent of shortcrust pastry
Icing sugar to decorate.

Method :

Place the pumpkin chunks into a saucepan and cover them with boiling water.  Place onto a moderate heat and simmer until tender.  Drain and leave the chunks to cool.

Roll out your pastry and line a pie dish with it, cover with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.  Bake at 180degC/350degF/Gas 4 until part baked, for around 20 minutes.  Once baked, simply set aside and increase the oven temperature to 200degC/400degF/Gas 6.

When the pumpkin chunks have cooled, place into a food processor (or use a blender) and render them down to a smooth puree.

In a separate large bowl, combine the sugar, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon, then whisk in the eggs and melted butter.

Add the pumpkin puree to the bowl and gently stir it through until combined.  Add a little milk (or rather more, if your mix appears to be quite dry) until you have a pourable consistency.

Pour the filling into the part baked pastry shell and bake for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180degC/350degF/Gas 4 and bake for another 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is set.  You may have to rotate the pie half way through, to get an even bake.

Allow to cool, dust with icing sugar and serve chilled, with cream or ice cream.

Printable version

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...